Microsoft Azure for Students
Helping students build for tomorrow
Azure for Students is part of Microsofts growing commitment to Education both in the cloud and in the STEM classroom. Cloud and specifically distributed computing competencies are the #1 skillset needed most by organisations in 2018, according to LinkedIn.Today’s students are tomorrow’s developers and help is available for these students be successful future cloud developers regardless of the tools & technologies they pick. From learning a language to building new Artificial Intelligence experiences, students can now learn through a growing library of computer science labs and how-to-build docs.
What is Azure for Students?
Azure for Students has been designed uniquely with student-focused cloud usage in-mind and this offer gives verified students full access to 25+ free Azure products as well as US$100 monetary credit (to be used within the first 12 months) for use toward Microsoft paid products with no credit card requirement.
Products are free according to their period of availability and service limitations as long as your Azure subscription has more than $0 available credit or you have upgraded to a Pay-as-you-go subscription.
Some of the products available are:
- 750 hours of Azure B1S General Purpose Virtual Machines for Microsoft Windows Server for 12 months
- 750 hours of Azure B1S General Purpose Virtual Machines for Linux for12 months
- 128 GB of Managed Disks as a combination of two 64 GB (P6) SSD storage, plus 1 GB snapshot and 2 million I/O operations for 12 months
- 5 GB of LRS-Hot Blob Storage with 2 million read, 2 million write and 2 million write/list operations for 12 months
- 5 GB of LRS File Storage with 2 million read, 2 million list and 2 million other file operations for 12 months
- 250 GB of SQL Database standard S0 instance with 10 database transaction units for 12 months
- 5 GB of Azure Cosmos DB with 400 reserved in units for 12 months
- 15 GB of bandwidth for outbound data transfer with free unlimited inbound transfer for 12 months
- 10 web, mobile or API apps with Azure App Service with 1 GB storage – Always free
- 1 million requests and 400,000 GB s of resource consumption with Azure Functions – Always free
- Free Azure Container service to cluster virtual machines – Always free
- 50,000 stored objects with Azure Active Directory with single sign-on (SSO) for 10 apps per user -Always free
Azure for Students has a limited supply of activations and the offer is only available while supplies last. Each region has a limited number of Azure for Students offers available, and your geographical location may run out of supplies while the offer is still available in other regions.
For further details of the products, terms and conditions and the regions Azure for Students is available in go to https://azure.microsoft.com/en-gb/free/free-account-students-faq/
Azure for Students Starter
Azure for Students Starter is available to secondary school students and gets you started with the Azure products you need to develop in the cloud. This benefit provides you access to a free tier of the following services:
- Azure App Services – a fully-managed cloud offering that enables you to build and deploy native and web apps in minutes. Use the technology you love—ASP.NET, Java, PHP, Node.js or Python. Add a variety of essential app services including authentication, social integration, offline data sync and more, regardless of whether your app runs on Windows 10, iOS or Android
- Notification Hubs – keep your app in-touch with users by enabling you to send mobile push notifications tailored by audience, language and location
- SQL Database as Service – a fully intelligent, fully managed, relational cloud database service
- MySQL database from MySQL in-app – gives you the experience of native MySQL support for your Web Apps. Deploy CMS solutions such as WordPress, Joomla and more, or custom applications driven by MySQL database
- Application Insights – provides you with the deep diagnostics and performance telemetry to ensure your web apps and services are running at their maximum potential
- Visual Studio Team Services – provides a set of cloud-powered collaboration tools that work with your existing IDE or editor, so your team can work effectively on software projects of all shapes and sizes
Azure for Students Starter is available to verified students at no cost, commitment, or time limit. For further details visit https://azure.microsoft.com/en-gb/free/students-starter-faq/