Due to COVID-19, organisations have been forced to accelerate their digital journey to enable a flexible working environment. But, it’s not too late to build the necessary digital foundation for the success of your investment.
There are five critical requirements for a digital workspace, one of them is device management. In this blog post we’ll be looking at why device management is so important for organisations, the benefits and the overall solutions available to help you build an effective digital workplace.
Device management, why is it so important?
Device management, also known as modern management, is based on the now universal trend that modern operating systems need to be updated on demand, anywhere, from the cloud, in an effort to manage billions of devices at scale and ensure application compatibility for developers.
To allow organisations to effectively manage the experience and security policies of devices, device management APIs, that potentially expose hundreds of policy options and context data for each operating system, have been exposed through device management tools.
There is no question that, in the near future, every enterprise-managed or personally owned device accessing corporate data will be connected to a management platform. The question is, when?
Many organisations have heavily invested in years of tools, skills and processes revolving around domain and image-based management of PCs and Macs. We believe device management is a necessary requirement for the digital workspace; it’s the only way to deliver consistent experiences in a perimeter-less work environment by having real-time context of the devices used to access the apps and data employees need to do their best work. Device management helps secure access management so there is only one app and one place to go. It also ensures unified endpoint management for a consistently great user experience that is also highly secure.
- Manage in Real Time from the Cloud – Cloud-native PC lifecycle management ensures line of sight into every PC, across any network. Goes beyond MDM to deliver complete PC management workloads from the cloud and automation to speed Windows 10 modernisation.
- Simplify IT Operations – Industry-leading, unified endpoint management (UEM) delivers management breadth across your end-user computing (EUC) footprint—mobile, desktops, virtual, rugged and IoT devices—and depth within each of these platforms.
- Harden Windows Security – Enterprise-grade security from silicon to software and automated compliance remediation to combat modern threats across endpoints anywhere.
- Empower Employees – Onboard employees anywhere and on day-one with modern deployment options and self-service catalogue for all work apps and services.
- Deploy How You Choose – Get unparalleled flexibility to deliver and manage Windows 10 anywhere, whether natively on a desktop or within a virtual instance, to any device and across any cloud.
- Automate and Analyse – Stay context-aware and productive always, with Intelligence insights, fully customisable automations, and IT orchestration workflows that span across your EUC investments.
VMware offer a number of IT solutions to help you build a digital foundation and offer your organisation a new way of working. Let’s have a look at some of these solutions:
Workspace ONE – Simply and securely deliver and manage any app on any device with VMware Workspace ONE, an intelligence-driven digital workspace platform. Workspace ONE integrates access control, application management and multi-platform endpoint management into a single platform and is available as a cloud service or on-premise deployment.
Workspace ONE Unified Endpoint Management – Reduce costs and improve security with modern, over-the-air management of every endpoint – including desktops, mobile, rugged, and IoT – and ensure enterprise security at every layer with Workspace ONE UEM, powered by AirWatch technology.
Horizon – VMware Horizon is a modern platform for secure delivery of virtual desktops and apps across the hybrid cloud, from the market leader in software-defined data centre and digital workspaces. By leveraging unique integration with trusted VMware technology, Horizon helps IT efficiently deploy and scale virtual desktops and apps from a single control plane with rapid provisioning, automation and simplified management to extend the best digital workspace experience to end users.